Multiple Sclerosis Physiotherapy in Gurgaon | Multiple Sclerosis treatment in Gurgaon
Multiple sclerosis is a disease where the immune system impacts the protective covering of nerves that hampers the communication of the body. Though it was more prevalent in the West till a few years ago, India is now seeing a gradual increase in cases over the past few years. The problem can last from a few years or be lifelong. It is a chronic disease impacting the central nervous system and extending up to the optic nerves of the body.
Causes for Multiple sclerosis
Multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disease and for this reason, its precise cause remains unknown. In this disease, the immune system mistakenly takes away the protective covering of nerves in the central nervous system. This damage disrupts the nerve signals that go from the brain to other parts of the body. However, some factors triggering Multiple sclerosis are:
- Surroundings– Sometimes the surrounding environment can play a role in multiple sclerosis. For instance, in certain places, people a less exposed to Vitamin D which puts a risk.
- Genetic reasons– A few reports suggest that a family member with Multiple sclerosis can increase the risk for other family members developing the condition.
- Viruses– Some studies suggest that a few viruses can cause multiple sclerosis. But the doctors are not completely sure whether it is a potential cause or not.
- Trauma– A traumatic experience can develop PTSD trauma. This is linked with the increased risk of multiple sclerosis and other autoimmune diseases.
Symptoms of Multiple sclerosis
There has not been sufficient research on Multiple sclerosis and it’s a complicated disease. For this reason, its symptoms can differ from individual to individual. Some symptoms of Multiple sclerosis are:
- Fatigue- Fatigue refers to a feeling of tiredness, drowsiness or sleepiness. It is a common sign of different diseases including Multiple sclerosis. So, imaging tests are done to rule out other possible causes of fatigue.
- Vision problem- Another common symptom of Multiple sclerosis is a vision problem. It can be caused by inflammation of the optic nerves that can cause itching, pain and blurred vision in the eyes.
- Depression- Depression commonly prevails in patients suffering from multiple sclerosis. As per research, nearly half of the patients have Depression at some point.
- Dizziness- Light-headedness or Dizziness can be another symptom of it with vertigo. People can feel imbalanced and it lasts for a few days.
- Emotional changes- Persistent irritability can be another inevitable symptom of multiple sclerosis. It requires accurate treatment like any other physical symptom and mental counselling.
- Chronic pain- Chronic pain makes the life of patients with multiple sclerosis difficult. A pain sensation like pins and needles can be an initial sign of nerve damage.
- Involuntary muscle spasm- Multiple sclerosis can cause stiff muscles and spasms in many people. Also, it can cause painful and uncontrollable stiffness or sudden movements.
Ways to investigate Multiple sclerosis
As of now, there are no single tests to precisely diagnose multiple sclerosis. But, some combinations of tests used to diagnose the disease are:
- Neurological tests– Neurological tests can help rule out any deformities or weakness in body parts, eyes, speech and balance or coordination issues.
- MRI– MRI includes the use of a magnetic field and radio waves to get 3D images inside the brain and spinal cord to identify the problem.
- Blood test-Blood test can help to identify any other reasons for the symptoms like a vitamin deficiency or any other health issue.
- Evoked potential test-This is a test for eyes where light patterns are shown to the eyes and brainwaves are monitored. It is a painless test that can show the possible issues delaying the brain’s ability to receive messages.
- Analysis of spinal fluid– This test can confirm the diseases in the nervous system. It can show an increase in particular elements of the spine that are found in patients with multiple sclerosis.
Treatment for multiple sclerosis
There is no treatment to completely cure multiple sclerosis. But, some medicines or exercises and lifestyle changes can help to manage the symptoms of this disease and make life easy. Some of the are:
- Medications– The doctors treat multiple sclerosis with some special drugs that decrease the pace of the disease and its flare-ups. It can curb the immune system so that it does not harm the protective covering of the nerves. This drug can be given through injections in the skin.
- Physiotherapy– Multiple sclerosis can impact the muscles and nerves that make physical movements difficult. So, Physiotherapy can help improve and strengthen the physical functioning of the body, which helps improve mobility and quality of life for patients.
- Mental health counselling– As mentioned above, various symptoms of multiple sclerosis are related to mental health. For this reason, mental health counselling can help to deal with a condition that can be emotionally drenching. At the same time, it decreases the impact and treats the conditions caused by the disease on mood and memory.
- Lifestyle changes– A Physiotherapist can suggest some diet changes, regular exercise and posture changes to improve the difficulty in movements, flexibility, strength and stability of the body.
Exercises For Multiple sclerosis
Exercise can decrease the effect of multiple sclerosis on body movements. The custom exercise plan is suggested by an expert Physiotherapist based on every individual case. Some important exercises are-
- Stretching– Stretching enhances muscle flexibility and eases the day-to-day activities of patients. The person can daily do a 10-minute stretching exercise suggested by a Physiotherapist targeting the affected muscles of the body.
- Aerobic activity– Based on the extent of the disease, moderate-intensity aerobic activities like walking or swimming and their duration are suggested by a Physiotherapist.
- Balance exercises– The disease can cause poor body postures and problems with balance. So, some specific balance exercises are recommended by experts to reduce stiffness and control risky falls among patients. These exercises can help to improve walking, running and other motor skills.
Multiple sclerosis can make it difficult to lead a comfortable life by interfering with the ability to perform day-to-day activities. But, the expert Physiotherapy Multiple Sclerosis treatment in Gurgaon at DynaFisio can help decrease the physical impact of multiple sclerosis and improve the quality of life for patients.