Hip Pain treatment in Gurgaon | Physiotherapy for Hip Pain
It is mostly common condition in adults usually of all age group. It can affect in children, young or adults also. Children presenting with congenital abnormality can also result in pain. It can also associated be any underlying disease like Osteoarthritis. Pain is characterised by; anterior, lateral or posterior pain in the hip region. Clinical diagnosis of Hip pain is necessary to plan for effective treatment at Hip joint.
When to Consult a Doctor?
Severe pain around hip joint, Inability to bear weight on affected side, limping in walking, decreased ranges of hip, Swelling or stiffness at or near Hip joint, history of trauma or fall, age related obesity or fall can also result in fracture of hip bone or any muscular trauma. In case of any leg length discrepancy also, one should immediately consult to a doctor.
Hip Pain Symptoms
Pain, tenderness, swelling, change in contour of hip joint, difficulty in changing positions, pain while prolonged sitting or pain after walking few steps, limping gait, pain may radiate to buttocks, thigh or leg, apparent or true shortening of leg can also be seen. Stiffness and restricted movements can also be seen.
Relevant history taking is must for evaluating patient hip pain. It should include pain area, history of any other hip problems, congenital and hereditary history, pain aggravating or relieving factors, any fall or trauma history.
Hip Pain Diagnosis
X-Ray, MRI can reveal if any bony or musculoskeletal related issue present. Decrease in neck shaft angle, Break in Shanton’s line of abnormal Q angle can reveal different conditions in hip. Arthrography or ultrasonography can also be used for diagnostic purposes in severe case of injury. Your doctor will use these radiographic features go diagnose such conditions of hip.
Careful examination of gait pattern, weight bearing status, balance and posture and leg length while sitting and lying are done.
There may be various conditions affecting Hip joint and resulting in hip pain.
Anterior Hip pain may be due to:-
Lateral Hip pain may be due to:-
Posterior Hip pain also have certain causes like:-
Congenital disorders of hip may be:-
Physiotherapy Treatment for Hip Pain
- Conservative management can be done in few cases by giving Rest, Ice and elevation to the hip joint in initial stages.
- Medical management for pain and inflammation can be given. Use of NSAIDs and Corticosteroid injections can be helpful in certain cases.
- Surgical treatment is done in cases like malunion or developmental deformity. Surgical method like osteotomy is widely used in cases like coxa vara and valga.
- Physiotherapy treatment is necessary in Hip joint conditions in order to make patient independent walking and bear weight while standing
Hip Pain Physiotherapy Treatment
- Pain, inflammation and muscle spasm can be reduced by – Cryotherapy in initial stages and Thermotherapy in later stages. Both Ice pack and Moist heat pack can be applied for 10-15 minutes.
- Use of cast and avoid external rotations in case of dislocations of hip.
- Improvement of ROM exercises can be done by Passive Rom exercise, Active assisted ROM to flexors, extensors, abductors, adductors and rotators are prescribed according to the hip condition.
- Strengthening exercises for Hip muscles can be done by Resistive strengthening exercises, PRE, Active resisted exercises and isometrics all are done according to the patient condition and gradually progressed.
- Stretching exercises for Piriformis, gluteus muscle and hamstring muscles are also required often. Stretching of QL, Iliopsoas and quadriceps is also required according to the condition.
- Prevention of contractures in immobilisation phase is important by making patient prone lying, or sustainable slow stretching the hip joint muscles.
- Thera band exercises in non-weight bearing phase can be started in lying position for various group of muscles.
- Clam shell exercises for abductor weakness is very beneficial exercise.
- Hip mobility exercises like Dead bugs, Cat n camel exercise, Superman exercises, Pelvic tilting results in greater mobility of Hip joint in initial pain phase.
- Weight bearing and non-weight bearing with the help of crutches and crutches are taught in certain cases like during post op rehabilitation of Total hip replacement, or fracture.
- Different Gait pattern can be taught on parallel bars with the help of mirror feedback.
- Wobble board training can be done for balance.
- Once patient achieves functional balance and gait, our focus shift towards strengthening Hip muscles to prevent further damage or to maintain the current status.
- Advance strengthening exercises like wall supported squatting, side lunges, forward lunges one leg press, one leg squat, full squats, sumo squats all are done according to the patient and progressed gradually.
Different strategies for different condition of hip according to the patient are applied to avoid any further complications. Therefore, for better rehabilitation program contact our clinic at www.dynafisio.com or reach us at our different branches in Gurugram. For further details contact at: 8929294515