Down Syndrome treatment in Gurgaon | Physiotherapy for Down Syndrome
Down syndrome is a genetic disorder where a child gets an unequal set of chromosomes at the time of birth. It results in an extra, full or partial copy of chromosomes. It is a very common type of disease faced by many children in the world. If it is diagnosed at an early stage of life, then it can be taken care of. This disease is not curable but with good treatment, we can stop it from getting worse. One way of treating it is by Physiotherapy. Physiotherapy treatment of Down syndrome is very much recommended.
The severity of Down syndrome depends on a few factors. It can pause, stop or slow down physical development as well as affects intellectual growth. Furthermore, learning disability in children has been observed due to an unbalanced amount of chromosomes. This disease can further lead to heart-related problems, other medical abnormalities and gastrointestinal disorders.
If people have awareness of this disease and start its medications, therapies, and treatment in childhood, then it becomes quite easy in their adulthood to manage it all. Children can get special training for their learning behaviours which help them in growing up like the other kids of their age.
Symptoms of Down syndrome
The symptoms of Down syndrome may vary from condition to condition. A mild level of disease may not result in some symptoms, whereas a severe level may result in heart disease too. Moreover, all these symptoms may not occur in each case, some may have visible symptoms and some may not. So, here is the list of possible symptoms of a person suffering from Down syndrome.
- The face that has been flattened
- Short neck and small head
- Tongue protruding
- Eyelids that slope upward (palpebral fissures)
- Ears that is unusually shaped or tiny
- Muscle tone issues
- Hands are broad and short, with a single wrinkle on the palm.
- Fingers that are quite short and hands and feet that are little
- Extreme adaptability
- Brushfield’s spots are little white spots on the coloured area (iris) of the eye.
- Height doesn’t increase
Causes of Down syndrome
We have 23 pairs of chromosomes in which we get one chromosome from our mother and one from our father. When a child gets an unequal amount of cells, then he/she gets this disease. Here are 3 possible ways of unequal division which result in Down syndrome.
- Mosaic Down syndrome- Only some cells in this unusual variant of Down syndrome have an extra copy of chromosome 21. After conception, aberrant cell division results in a mosaic of normal and defective cells.
- Translocation Down syndrome- Translocation Down syndrome is a condition in which a person is born before or during pregnancy, a fragment of chromosome 21 can get connected (translocated) to another chromosome, causing the Down syndrome. These kids have two copies of chromosome 21, but they also contain chromosome 21 genetic material connected with another chromosome.
- Trisomy 21- Trisomy 21 is the most common cause of Down syndrome, which occurs when a person has three copies of chromosome 21 in all cells, rather than the typical two copies. This is caused by aberrant cell division during the sperm or egg cell’s development.
People with Down syndrome used to live lesser than other people. Due to the abnormities in the body, their life expectancy decreased. Down syndrome affects the heart and lungs which creates other major issues in the body leading to the deteriorating of health. But with new research, medicines and upgraded treatment procedures and therapies, things have changed for them. Life expectancy for people with Down syndrome has increased. They can live up to 60 years but that depends on the severity of the disease. If you have mild symptoms and you have followed a good therapy procedure and followed proper medications then there are high chances that you can live up to or more than 60 years.
Treatment of Down syndrome
Down syndrome is a disorder in which a child gets an unequal or imbalanced set of chromosomes which leads to some problems in the body. A person lacks physical development and neurological development in this case. The learning becomes slower than other people of similar age.
Down syndrome can be improved with medicines, learning practices and therapies. Everything targets a different set of patterns. As in-
- Learning practices- It is a psychological thing here a tutor helps a student to learn the concepts differently. Learning and teaching pattern changes according to the receiving capacity of the brain.
- Medicines- It helps a patient in keeping all the side effects away and it decreases the severity of Down syndrome. Medicines help in keeping the heart healthy and don’t let the imbalance of chromosomes affect major parts of the body
- Therapy- Physiotherapy treatment for Down syndrome has proved to be very helpful; people have witnessed relief after a few sittings. This has made an impactful change in their life and health. It keeps other body parts healthy and safe.