Fibromyalgia treatment in Gurgaon | Physiotherapy for Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia is a condition of muscle pain and tenderness. It can make a person feel fatigued, with changes in sleep and mood patterns. Fibromyalgia is a very common condition that needs treatment but has no permanent cure. For this reason, it can last from a few years to the whole life. It can be mistaken for arthritis or other similar joint and muscle conditions even by the healthcare professionals and so an accurate diagnosis is important for the treatment. This condition will not cause more damage to bones or muscles. However, it can give a consistent feeling of pain by impacting the process of the brain and spinal cord in processing pain. Fibromyalgia is more common in females than in males.
Causes of Fibromyalgia
Some researchers suggest that consistent nerve stimulation results in the alternation of Fibromyalgia in the processing of the brain and spinal cord. It includes the abnormal rise in the chemical levels of the brain.
Fibromyalgia is a long-term condition with chronic pain. So, its causes are:
- Genetics– Fibromyalgia can be caused by genetic inheritance and some specific genetic mutations that can increase the chances of Fibromyalgia.
- Physical or emotional changes- Fibromyalgia can be caused by any traumatic physical event like an accident or injury. Even some Specific medical conditions and Prolonged depression, anxiety, and stress can cause this condition.
- Pain in muscles and bones- The soreness or pain in the muscle and bones can cause Fibromyalgia.
- Tenderness or numbness- The person might feel consistent tenderness or numbness in their muscles or joints.
- Fatigue- Fatigue means a feeling of tiredness and low energy. Also, this feeling can interfere with the normal activities of the day.
- Mood changes- Mood changes or mood swings mean daily and significant changes in mood patterns.
- Sleep disturbances- Sleep disturbances mean changing or improper sleep patterns. It can have multiple impacts on health like Fibromyalgia.
- Premature birth- When a person is born before the normal period of 40 weeks, it can increase the risk of Fibromyalgia.
- Lack of exercise- Insufficient physical activity can cause muscle soreness and increase the risk of developing pain and tenderness in muscles.
- Abnormal pain messages- Fibromyalgia may be developed by changes in the central nervous system’s process to send and receive messages. It can be caused by chemical changes in the brain, spine or nerves resulting in pain or sensitivity.
Symptoms of Fibromyalgia
The Symptoms of Fibromyalgia are very similar to other joint and muscle conditions like inflammation and arthritis. So, some symptoms of Fibromyalgia are:
- Widespread pain in muscles and joints
- Cognitive difficulty
- Lack of energy
- Problem in sleeping
- Muscle cramps
- Memory issues
- Tingling in hands and fingers
- Rapid weight gain
- Morning stiffness
- Urinary issues
- Vision problems
Ways to investigate Fibromyalgia
Since its symptoms are common and mimic other conditions. So, earlier the doctor used to check 18 particular points on the body for pain. But, now they suggest other advanced tests. Firstly, a doctor will discuss the medical history of their family and conduct a physical examination.
- Detecting other underlying conditions
- Blood count tests
- Vitamin D test
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate
- Cyclic citrullinated peptide test
- Rheumatoid factor
Treatment for Fibromyalgia
The treatment for Fibromyalgia is commonly a mix of medications and physical therapy. It focuses to reduce the symptoms of Fibromyalgia. At the same time, it tries to improve health and strengthen bones, joints and muscles. No one treatment can be used to treat all the symptoms of Fibromyalgia.
- Medications– To reduce the pain, doctors can suggest pain-relieving medicines, antidepressants, muscle relaxers and medicines used to treat epilepsy that can help to reduce pain.
- Physiotherapy– A professional physiotherapist can suggest some specific exercises to improve the strength of the muscles. Also, it can relieve stiffness and improve flexibility and stamina. Some water-based exercises can even be recommended.
- Acupuncture– Acupuncture involves pricking needles on specific points of the body to reduce pain. But, it can have some side effects like soreness and bruises after treatment.
- Occupational therapy– Sometimes the working environment or work pattern can be a cause of Fibromyalgia. So, occupational therapy can help to make changes in the world and reduce to reduce the negative impact on the body.
- Yoga– Some researchers suggest that yoga can help to improve mood and decrease pain. It includes gentle poses, meditation and breathing exercises.
- Counselling– Since the cause and symptoms of Fibromyalgia includes mood swings, anxiety and depression, counseling can help to strengthen mental health. Also, it can help to deal with stress.
Exercises for Fibromyalgia
The exact course of physiotherapy depends on the custom treatment plan designed by a physiotherapist for individual cases. But, some parts of exercises for Fibromyalgia are:
- Deep tissue massage- Deep tissue massage is only suggested in cases of extreme pain. It includes the use of pressure to heal the deep tissue tensions and muscle spasms. It can be combined with heat or cold therapies as per need.
- Stretching- Stretching is a particular physical exercise for muscles and tendons to improve the stretch or flexibility of the body. Also, it helps to get comfortable muscle movement.
- Aerobic exercise- Aerobics is a special kind of physical exercise. It includes stretches and strength training to improve muscle strength and fitness.
- Strengthening exercises- Strengthening exercises are simple exercises performed to enhance muscle and joint strength. It includes weight lifting, climbing stairs, push-ups, squats etc.
- Aquatic therapy- Aquatic therapy is a specialised exercise performed with the assistance of a professional physiotherapist. It is performed inside a water-filled pool. There is reduced feeling or pain in water that helps to relax muscles.
Fibromyalgia can be problematic and interfere with daily life. So, its treatment is necessary and physiotherapy can be an ideal way to deal with its symptoms. You can visit DynaFisio, a physiotherapy centre in Gurgaon, which have expert practitioners and modern infrastructure.