Our vertebral column has a unique structure built up for stability and functional mobility of our body. It is the axial part of the musculoskeletal system of the body.
It is divided into five segments:
- Cervical (neck)
- Thoracic (upper-mid back)
- Lumbar (mid-lower back)
- Sacral (lower back)
- Coccygeal (tail bone)
Here, we are talking about thoracic segment of the vertebral column which is seen at the back of the chest and runs vertically from the level of shoulder in the center to the level of mid waist.
Along this region the vertebral column is held together with corresponding muscles, ligaments and other tissues.
Sometimes the muscles become weak due to some bad postural habits in day to day life and other abnormalities causing pain in the upper-middle back region which is often called thoracic back pain.
Causes of thoracic back pain
- Prolong sitting
- Poor posture
- Lack of mobility
- Previous injury
Symptoms of thoracic back pain
- Pain and tenderness
- Morning stiffness
- Discomfort during prolong sitting
Physiotherapy can help relieve thoracic back pain in various ways:
- Stretching exercises: to increase the flexibility of muscles
- Strengthening exercises: to provide strength and gain power
- Maintaining correct posture: to prevent the strain
- Taking few minutes breaks in between prolong sitting
- Precautions to be taken care of to prevent jerky and aggressive movements.
- Always take a turn before getting up out of bed
- Avoid forward bending
- Maintain an upright posture while sitting and standing
- Avoid excessive heavy weight lifting
- Regular exercises
- Myofascial release: to release the trigger points
- Soft tissue mobilisation
- Using advanced techniques like cupping, dry needling
- Electrical modalities : to ease pain and provide relaxation to tissues.
Our physiotherapy center in Gurgaon Dynafisio provides all kinds of treatment possible for thoracic back pain to overcome in short time. Our team of physiotherapists have expertise in educating the patient, giving correct advices and set proper treatment by using all of the above mentioned techniques and best quality modalities.
We make sure to provide a comfortable and friendly environment for the patient to cope with the treatment process and make progress with equal efforts and a positive mindset.
You can visit our clinics at our branches: Sector 42, Sector 45 and Sector 83