Physiotherapy plays the key role in treating the lower back disc prolapse for many patients. Physiotherapist often aims to recover the patient’s pain, functional restoration and decrease the neurological deficits associated with the disc prolapse.
Disc prolapse is a condition when a disc between two consecutive vertebras herniates in either direction; posterior being the commonest. It is different with other low back or mechanical back pain. This pain usually comes in a sharp shooting, burning or in radiating pattern. This may sometimes result in weakness, numbness or tingling sensation in back, buttock, posterior thigh or leg depending upon the level of compression.
Goals of Physiotherapy Treatment
- Pain relief
- Restoration of motion and function
- Maintaining and resuming exercises
- Improve strength and endurance
- Reduce and maintain body weight
- Ambulation with proper weight bearing
- Ergonomic advices
- Prevent recurrences and flare-ups
What causes Disc Prolapse?
Disc prolapse is never sudden it starts gradually inside your body due to your bad lifestyle and postural habits. Once the fibrous wall; the covering of disc holding it inside the vertebrae goes into weakness then any sudden small force on the spine or your back is enough to break that sheath and allows disc to prolapse or herniate outward. Some of the common complaints of patient are like:-
- Bending forward for any household work like sweeping or mopping
- Sudden fall
- Lifting any heavy object or luggage in some awkward position
- Coughing, sneezing
- Obesity, age and degenerative changes are also the common factors for old age group.
Prevention of Disc Prolapse
- Strengthening exercises – both for lower back and core is necessary to hold the spine in normal curve and posture. It can help for further recurrence or prolapse of disc.
- Stretching exercises – for maintaining the flexibility and adding the extension group of exercises helps reduce pain and function of the spine.
- Ergonomics – proper posture plays the key role in aggravating the disc prolapse or pain which can be maintained by with the help of proper guided ergonomic advices related to work by a physiotherapist.
- Weight reduction – reducing and maintaining weight helps reduce stress and compression on spine.
Physiotherapy Treatment for Disc Prolapse
Along with these preventive exercise regime physiotherapist tailors the individual exercise plan according to their and condition and demands, which includes:-
- Electrical modalities like – US, TENS, IFT which helps to block the pain gated channels and give patients temporary relief and helps them to start their exercise treatment as early as possible.
- Cryotherapy and thermotherapy – helps reduce spasm and inflammation. Strengthening and stretching exercises are performed together depending upon the type of disc prolapse.
- Traction – manual or mechanical has a positive impact on reducing the compression on nerve roots. Soft tissue massage and joint mobilisation to reduce muscle spasm and increase the range and function of spine.
For further details related to customised treatment exercise pain according to patient condition and age, contact us at 8929294515 or www.dynafisio.com to guide you better in a right direction or you can reach us to your nearby location in Gurgaon Sector 45, 42, 83, and 28.